YOU are the Key to our Legislative Successes.
(L-R) NAMI Connecticut Board Member Anthony Pierloni, testifying at the State Capital; Advocates meeting at the State Capital during a recent NAMI Connecticut Walk; and Vered Brandman, a NAMI In-Our-Own-Voice presenter, testifying at the State Capital.
NAMI Connecticut’s Public Policy Program Components:
- Provide outreach, trainings, and education to the community and policymakers
- Monitor and act on state and local government issues relevant to the mental health community
- Mobilize NAMI Connecticut members to testify or contact policymakers on behalf of our legislative priorities, including through the new Affiliate Advocacy Liaisons
- Strategically work with the media to further our legislative agenda
- Develop and build relationships with community partners and stakeholders to work on joint initiatives
NAMI Connecticut’s Public Policy Committee consists of members from around the state who meet monthly to influence the organization’s legislative agenda and act as advocacy liaisons in their communities. Our goal is to support members to engage in advocacy activities at the legislature, in the community, and from their homes.
YOU ARE THE NAMI Connecticut PUBLIC POLICY and ADVOCACY PROGRAM!
We are here to support your advocacy efforts
WHAT CAN WE DO FOR YOU?
- Show you how to contact your legislators and other elected officials, quick link www.cga.ct.gov
- Attend meetings with state or local officials to provide support as requested
- Provide background information on policy issues, such as legislative agenda booklets and fact sheets
- Speak at affiliate meetings or other events about mental health advocacy issues
- Alert you to great advocacy opportunities and events at the Capitol and in the community
- Help you write testimony or letters to the editor to express your views on important issues
NAMI Connecticut is also an active member organization of the Keep the Promise Coalition (KTP), a statewide unified group of key stakeholders (including individuals with lived experience, family members, mental health professionals and interested community members) advocating for a comprehensive, community mental health system across the lifespan in Connecticut.
Thomas Burr Susan Kelley
Community & Affiliate Relations Manager Director of Children’s Policy
For a complete description of our program activities, please CLICK HERE.
Get Email Updates, including Action Alerts, by clicking HERE (and be sure to include your NAME, Phone Number, and EMAIL Address!)
Collaborations: NAMI Connecticut is proud to be one of the founding members of the Keep the Promise (KTP) Coalition, as well as the founder and fiduciary for the Alliance for Children’s Mental Health (ACMH). The Keep the Promise (KTP) Coalition is a Connecticut-based network of advocates, including people living with mental illness, family members, mental health professionals and interested community members. KTP is dedicated to advocating for a comprehensive, community mental health system for adults, children and families in Connecticut.
YOU are the Key to our Legislative Success!
All Our Words and Actions Matter!
Let’s use them to advocate for the things that Matter to Us